We decided that it was finally time to give potty training a try for Kaiser. This is something that I thought about doing right before he turned two but I put off because we were going to Utah on vacation.
When we got home in August, he just has never seemed interested in going pee or poop on the potty. I knew that he was capable and that he could do it if he tried, but him not wanting to made me hesitant to start trying.
We decided to give it a shot and see what happened. We had him start officially on January 25, 2016. We bought stickers, made a chart, bought Capri Sun Roarin' Waters, and we got a potty seat all ready and waiting for him! Well, he ended up screaming and not wanting to use the potty seat so we nixed that idea. But the stickers and chart and rewards when the chart was full seemed to work well for him!
We stayed home for about 3 days and just consistently took him potty on a timer. I did this with him for a couple of days and by the third day, we decided to take him outside for a little outing because he was doing so well. Our outing went well and he was well on his way to being potty trained. I was shocked of course. He had no problems peeing or pooping on the potty. He took to it really quickly and really seemed mentally ready for the change.
With the baby coming coming 6 weeks after we started potty training, I was a little nervous we weren't going to have enough time to get him adjusted. But he seriously surprised me with how quickly he picked up on it. I love him and his willingness to be such a good boy. I know he tries so hard to make me and Scott proud. I am really proud of him and all his hard work.
It's been just about 6 weeks and he still has little drips in his "unders" but for the most part, he does amazing! We give him a special treat if he can keep his unders dry before nap and a treat for after nap. Occasionally, he will still get a cool car or some type of small toy when he fills up his charts. But we aren't consistent with his charts anymore since it's more become his new way of life...We are so proud of our little potty trained boy!
![]() |
| Trying on Daddy's helmet with his cool "unders" on |
![]() |
| Working out with mom in his "unders" |
![]() |
| These are his cool potty training charts. He got a fire truck sticker, or a monster truck sticker when he pooped in the potty. |
Call us crazy, but we decided to throw one more big change in before baby brother's arrival. My friend Amanda gave us her little boy's old bed for free so we decided to finally make good use of it and transition Kaiser into a big boy bed.
We tried to make it fun for him and paint his bed. I gave him the option of red or blue and he chose red! So this was what it looked like initially:
We just spray painted it and I think it turned out pretty good. The only annoying thing is that the paint chips off so easily. But oh well, he still had fun changing it up and making it his own I think.
![]() |
| We put it in his room where his crib used to be and left it for a few days just like this so he could get adjusted to seeing it... |
I was so hesitant to transition him for many reasons. He has always napped so well in his crib and I was worried that would all go away with the change. Also, he has never tried climbing out of his crib and has seemed content in it, so why change a good thing, I thought? And let's face it, I knew it had to happen eventually but I just wasn't sure I was ready for him to grow up even more with his big boy bed... But whether I was ready or not, it needed to happen so that baby brother could have the crib.
We took the plunge and put him in his big boy bed on February 17th. He did amazingly. He wasn't anxious at all and we were super impressed. How did we get such a well-adjusted little boy?
We put him in bed, and within minutes, he was asleep. The next morning, he stayed in bed and called for us to come get him.
Nap time was the same thing. I put him in bed and he slept great and called for me when he woke up!
He pretty much still does the same thing--He will usually call for us in the morning until we tell him that he can come out. Same with naps. Although, his naps seem to be getting shorter. I don't know if I can quite attribute that to him transitioning into his bed or just him getting older.
I have been worried about how the changes will affect him, but I am so grateful that he is such a well-adjusted little boy. He has made life so much easier for me! We are proud of you Kaiser!







No comments:
Post a Comment