Thursday, March 17, 2016

Our Hospital Stay

We stayed in room 9 on the 3rd floor of Scott and White hospital. They moved us over to this room after I was recovered in labor and delivery. It seemed like a very quick stay since we delivered in the evening and attempted to sleep after I had done the recovery and checks and all that fun stuff.

We kept sweet baby boy with us in our room that night and worked on getting a little bit of sleep. I don't remember them really asking us to take him to the nursery and we didn't ask either. He was latching on and nursing well. He would wake up around every 2-3 hours to nurse, which is good because I was trying to only breastfeed to see if this time around would be different than with Kaiser.

Morning came and that meant doctor rounds. Dr Davis came in to check on me and write my discharge for the evening. A lactation consultant also came around to check on me (per request) to make sure everything looked good and to give me a few pointers. I was already beginning to feel a little anxious about not being able to solely breastfeed. But baby was doing well so far. Lactation said everything looked great and I was good to go!

Meanwhile...we STILL had not decided on a name for our sweet baby! It was sometime early afternoon and we had a few in mind, we just needed to make a final decision. Scott liked the name "Indy" and I liked the name "Silas." But neither of us liked each other's names. We somewhat both liked the name "Otto" so we were mostly debating between "Otto" and "Koen." Middle names were also hard haha. But we needed to make a decision. We decided on Koen Scott Perkes. The spelling is a German spelling of Koen which we thought was a nice fit with his big brother.

Just so we can remember for the future, the other names we liked were, Silas (I liked it), Indy (Scott liked it), and Otto.

Here are a few pictures from the day...
My mom brought up Kaiser a little later in the evening and we were ready to go home. When we told Kaiser that his baby brother's name would be Koen, he definitely approved. He kept saying, "I love baby Koen!" It was heart melting. It was a great sight to see the two together! I was absolutely in love!
Kaiser also received a gift from baby Koen. He gave Kaiser some Daniel Tiger books for me to read to Kaiser while Koen is nursing. Kaiser seemed pretty happy. 

We then dressed Koen and got ready to go home. When we were dressing Koen is when I remember my anxiety hitting me. These dang post-partum hormones...

Anyways, we dressed him, took a few family photos, and went home. My mom was so sweet--she and Kaiser had balloons waiting for us when we got home. And so our new adventure of being a family of four begins!

No comments:

Post a Comment